20 HOUR TRAINING
(good towards yoga alliance continuing education)
An exploration of public speaking, finding your authentic voice (no more “yoga voice”) and the tools to weave a spiritual theme accessibly into every element of a yoga class.
If interested in taking this course or bringing it to your local studio or community,
click link below and let us know!
If there is one thing that can go really bad in a yoga class, it’s the spiritual teaching.
If there is one thing that can be the most special thing about a yoga class, it’s the spiritual teaching.
During this week we will explore the art of public speaking through the form of teaching yoga and mostly as it relates to weaving a spiritual theme into every element of a class with authenticity and accessibility. We will look at the tools necessary to communicate to a wide audience with clarity, precision and gentleness, welcoming all minds into a conversation exploring tangible yet elevated material, while connecting the dots of the mind to the physical body, playlist, sequence and more.
WHO IS THIS TRAINING FOR:
Open to anyone interested in refining their public speaking skills, their teaching skills (not necessarily yoga, though this will be the form through which we discuss many of the tools) as well as their general sincere communication skills. (For YA certified yoga teachers, this counts as 20 hours towards YA continuing education).
How to Give a Ted Talk by Chris Anderson
An Offering of Leaves by Ruth Lauer-Manenti
MORE DETAILS ON TOPICS INCLUDED:
- Spiritual Teachings - 3 to 5 minute suggested gold nuggets to inspire & kick start the class
- Weaving the Theme: Linking your golden nugget throughout class and relating it to the sequence, alignment cues & playlist.
- Short Led Body Scan Meditations to prepare for physical alignment cues related to the focus of class
- Verbs & vocabulary good for teaching yoga and expanding your use of languaging
- Tools to explain tough concepts
- The do’s and don’t of telling stories about yourself: how it is useful & how it can be unnecessary
- Deciphering your point into ONE sentence
- Power of repetition & simplicity
- Relating what we do on the mat to outside the classroom - why is this relevant to talk about?
- Talking to the most pessimistic person in the room
- Current Affairs/Politics in yoga? - out or in?
- Sussing out your own personal take on something ancient, poetic, & probably not to be tampered with
- Encouraging curiosity and inquisitiveness vs. telling people what something is, what truth is or isn’t.
- The Art of Languaging: Intonation, Breath Work, Cadence, When to Be Silent, Projecting, Using the Voice to make your point land the right way & more.
INTERESTED IN DEEP RETREAT?
Are you feeling a little stunted in your yoga practice?
Got to a certain point but can't get past it?
Teaching yoga but need a little inspiration boost?
Interested in yoga philosophy and understanding more
about the spiritual aspects of yoga, but don't know where to begin?
JOIN Heather & YFBP for our newest edition:
DEEP RETREAT & FOCUSED STUDY
50 HOUR TEACHER TRAINING
For Teachers & Students
(50 Hour Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Accredited)
This is a week immersion in focused practice for both students and teachers. You can use these hours towards further accreditation with yoga alliance, or simply to feel what it’s like to spend a whole week steeped in practice, in old school retreat style study.
Proper Alignment/Asana Practicums
Being a Real Person/Practicing Yoga
Subtle Body Anatomy
Hatha Yoga Pradipika
The Yoga Sutras
Doing a Personal Retreat
What is Yoga?
Weaving a Spiritual Theme
Art of Assists
Making a Damn Good Playlist
SCHEDULE (subject to change)
Arrival, Check In, Intro & Class
8:30am - 12:30pm Yoga/Lecture
2:30pm - 6:30pm Lecture/Practicum
For more details or to reserve your spot, contact:
If you are a YA certified yoga teacher, and want to sharpen your teaching skills or have some serious one-on-one time with an experienced teacher, consider the possibility of a Mentorship. Heather is available as a Mentor in LA or NYC. Contact her HERE for more details on how to refine and hone your teaching skills.
200-Hour Teacher Training
Whether you want to be a yoga teacher or not is irrelevant; the experience of a teacher training furthers one's personal evolution and yoga practice rapidly, and will open doors for you and inspire new insights, no matter who you are or what your previous yoga practice has been.
Continuing Your Study As a Teacher or Student
Even when you become a teacher, the learning never stops, and often the craving to sit in the seat of the student again becomes primary to the act of teaching. If it's your time again to delve into the art of student-hood to enhance your teaching and/or practice, email Heather for more information about upcoming programs and opportunities she is part of to further your skills and widen your knowledge as a yoga teacher.